The Martinez Tribune is reporting that the East Bay Regional Park District is receiving $3 million in state appropriations to begin construction of a staging area for the new Thurgood Marshall Regional Park on the former Concord Naval Weapons Station (CNWS).
“The new staging area, along with a planned visitor center, will help connect the public with the park’s important human history and the natural history and outdoor recreational opportunities of the land,” added Lane. “Establishing public access to Thurgood Marshall Regional Park is a major priority for the Park District.”Martinez Tribune
The Park’s Name Origin
The Thurgood Marshall Regional Park was named in honor of NAACP civil rights attorney and former U.S. Supreme Court Justice, Thurgood Marshall. Marshall helped to defend the 50 black sailors accused of mutiny after the Port Chicago Naval Magazine blast in July of 1944.
The park will encompass over 2,687 acres of land on the former CNWS. It will stretch along the hills from Willow Pass Road, south past Bailey Road.